Saturday, January 3, 2015

On New Year's Resolutions

In the weeks leading up to the beginning of 2015, my Twitter and Facebook feed was flooded with posts regarding New Year's resolutions and how 2015 would be so much better than all the previous years. While I appreciate the notion of rebirth and beginning anew, I find it silly that people assign so much importance to a date that really doesn't have much importance in the grand scheme of things. Dates and years are a manmade concept, just like time is. December 31st is no different than January 1st, really, yet people go on and on about how what is effectively just one more terrestrial revolution will give them the impetus to become a whole new person. I don't think that a date should influence someone to become someone new. Maybe that's why New Year's resolutions are abandoned so often.

I think that becoming a better person should be a constant goal. We should constantly search for more lessons to learn, for more places to see, and for more people to meet. That is how we grow and expand our minds, and it should be more of a concrete and internalized goal that goes beyond our perception of time. It shouldn't be left behind as January 1st gets farther and farther away. 

That's why I simply have one overarching goal for this year and for all the ones to come: to continue to be a badass mofo. 

Being a badass mofo (sorry I can't help saying it without italics) is more than just an attitude towards life. It means keeping all aspects of your life in balance while simultaneously maintaining momentum and being open to all available opportunities to learn and kick ass. Right now, most aspects of my life are balanced: I have great friends, I feel satisfied with my current relationship, my frantic search for the right college is now over and done with, and I'm working on all the projects I've started in the past months regarding community service and music. However, I do want to work on my relationship with my parents, which, while relatively stable, still needs some help, my relationship with music, and most of all, my health and fitness level. So I definitely have stuff to work on, and I hope that I will continue to have stuff to work on, because once I don't, I might as well be dead. 

However, I know that I might be talking out of my ass about this whole thing, mostly thanks to the fact that it's so late right now and that I might not be thinking everything through. I know I used to make New Year's resolutions left and right but I never completed them. So having this overarching goal and the mentality to always strive to become a better person will definitely be a learning experience for me, and I know that many great and awesome things will come of it. 

Let me know if what I'm saying makes any sense to you guys, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks for reading :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment